Supply Chain Planner Internship
Function: Talent Resourcing | 6 months | 40 hours a week
Deadline: 29-12-2017Apply now
AkzoNobel is a leading global paints and coatings company and a major producer of specialty chemicals, with leading market positions and brands in countries around the world. We operate in a number of important market segments ranging from buildings and infrastructure to transport, industrial and consumer goods. We’re also the sector leader in sustainability and are number one in the renowned Dow Jones Sustainability Index. In practical terms, that means our sustainable solutions are in your lives, and those of your friends and family, every day. We’re the people that make it possible for you to do what you need to do.
Bring your Supply Chain Planning expertise to AkzoNobel Decorative Paints
Our Decorative Paints business adds color to people’s lives through a full range of quality products. We supply interior and exterior paints, lacquers and varnishes to professional decorators and DIY enthusiasts.
In the past four years, we reallocated the Supply Chain Planning of various Decorative Paints plants in Europe & Africa to Sassenheim, The Netherlands. In our Supply Chain Planning center, which consists of 80 higher educated Supply Chain Planning professionals from more than 15 different nationalities, we develop and implement leading best practices in Supply Chain Planning. Our way of working has proven to significantly increase service levels and decrease inventory for our Decorative Paints business.
We are passionate to serve our customers’ needs, to closely collaborate with our stakeholders and to expand our Supply Chain Planning knowledge. We are looking forward to welcome new Supply Chain team members who share our passion for Supply Chain Planning excellence and believe in a collaborative “winning together” approach.
Internships description Supply Chain Planning
We offer three types of Supply Chain Planning internships: Supply Chain Production Planner Intern, Supply Chain Material Planner Intern, and Supply Chain Planning Project Intern. In all internships, you will work towards our department’s goal to exceed service level targets at minimized supply chain costs within S&OP rules and operational constraints (such as limited capacity and minimal order quantities), teaming up with all stakeholders.
The main activity of the Supply Chain Production Planner is to create an optimized production plan for one of our factories in Europe & Africa for the next 12 weeks in close alignment with stakeholders.
The main activity of the Supply Chain Material Planner is to create an optimized raw materials and packs replenishment plan for one of our factories in Europe & Africa for the next 4-6 weeks in close alignment with stakeholders.
Supply Chain Planners work in SAP-APO and supporting Excel tools. While the focus of these internships is operational, in order to reach service level and supply chain cost targets, Supply Chain Planning interns will also contribute to the review of the SAP-APO settings. In addition, based on progress, available time and capabilities, we encourage project work by interns which is in line with our passion for excellence and our pursuit to develop and share best practices within Supply Chain Planning.
Interns work as part of a team of 5-12 Supply Chain Planners from the same role. The teams are organized geographically within Europe & Africa. Team members support each other in operations, review of SAP-APO settings, and best practices. The team reports to the Production Planning Manager respectively Material Planning Manager who leads the team in setting the performance and development objectives. Team members regularly align with their manager and pro-actively follow up on progress.
The main activity of the Supply Chain Planning Project Intern is to support the project teams. Where the Supply Chain Planners engage in Continuous Improvement in their daily work, the project teams are dedicated to larger step changes requiring dedicated effort on one focus area. Examples are our Inventory reduction Program, Automation initiatives, Supply Chain footprint reduction, and organization and governance (meetings, knowledge, KPIs) improvements with key stakeholders (Manufacturing, Procurement, Suppliers, Logistics etc). Typical activities for an intern will include the following under the guidance of Department project managers:
- Conduct detailed data analysis: collect data, structure data in a comprehensive database, perform rigorous analysis at the appropriate level of granularity
- Derive insights from quantitative analyses: trends, main outliers, total cost, improvement potential, tools, organization gaps
- Contribute to stakeholder management, along with the project team, first by aligning stakeholders on project objectives, then by identifying and addressing potential trade-offs, and ensuring buy-in and cooperation
- Contribute to process design and visualization / communication preparation towards key stakeholders
- Contribute to define and coordinate project activities, including timeline, risk management, learnings, dependencies
You will report to the leading project manager.
Based on our experience, it takes three months to become fully operational. To enable the intended personal growth and contribution to the team, the duration of the internship is at least four months and we strongly encourage internships of six months. Given the limited amount of time for contribution to our business objectives, your full attention is required during the internship; we therefore do not offer thesis internships.
Who can apply?
A demonstrated affinity with Supply Chain is a must. The internship is open for 3rd year Bachelor or Master students that are enrolled at a university (“Wetenschappelijk Onderwijs, WO”) in The Netherlands, or similar in Europe, with ability and authorizations to do an in internship in the Netherlands. A background in Business or Economics with specialization in Supply Chain Management, Operations management, Industrial Engineering or similar is strongly preferred.
- possess a passion to contribute to the satisfaction of our customers
- combine a high conceptual understanding of the trade-offs between SC KPIs and steering mechanisms with a data driven, fact based approach to problem solving
- are able to focus on a task, follow through and “get things done”.
- are stress resistant, and able to adapt to changing conditions and re-prioritize their tasks as needed to deliver to promise
- have excellent communication skills and the ability to understand and foster the interfaces with stakeholders
- have an open mind and curiosity to understand other cultures and promote mutual understanding
- are fluent in English. Depending on the plant, additional languages (e.g. French, Dutch, Turkish, Spanish) can be of benefit.
- are willing to travel for approximately 10-20% of their time to one of our Europe & Africa Decorative Paints plants.
Please do not apply if you do not fit this profile. You will not proceed to the next round. If in doubt whether or not you are a suitable candidate, please contact our Talent Resourcing Partner.
As part of your application, please supply:
- higher education grade list (including results of not yet finished degrees)
- letter in which you motivate your application (clearly specifying for which role(s) you would like to apply)
Only candidates who have supplied these three documents will be considered.
The internship will take 4-6 months and is fulltime. Successful interns will be considered for positions within AkzoNobel. If you want to learn more about recent graduates in our department, you are welcome to join our LinkedIn page: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/12014397/ .
If you would like to receive additional information, please contact Rob Sanders, Graduate Talent Resourcing Partner, telephone +31 (0)88 0106789 #2.
An employment screening and an online assessment may be part of the selection procedure.